phonesmallCustomer Service(02) 9083 8899     housesmall St Thomas Street, Bronte NSW 2024    waverley small logo

 

South Head Cemetery, located on Old South Head Road in Vaucluse, opened around 1845 and had its first interment in 1869.

In the early 1940s, the management of South Head Cemetery passed from a private trust to Waverley Council who owned and operated Waverley Cemetery.

Today, the cemetery has over 6,000 gravesites and memorials in 4 acres and is operated in conjunction with Waverley Cemetery.

Some of the notable people who have been laid to rest in South Head Cemetery include:

Sir Edmund Barton - Australia's first Prime Minister

Sir John Robertson - former Premier of New South Wales

Members of the Packer family, including Robert Clyde Packer and Frank Packer - newspaper proprietors

Members of the Fairfax family - newspaper proprietors

Members of the Norton family, including John Norton and Ezra Norton - newspaper proprietors

Frank Clune - author

Sir Walter Edward Davidson - Governor of New South Wales

Roy Redgrave - founder of the Redgrave acting dynasty

Edmund Resch - Resch's brewer family

John Charles Wright - former Archbishop of Sydney

Sir Richard Watkins Richards - former Lord Mayor of Sydney 

Victor Trumper - cricketer

Howard Joseland - architect

 

INCORPORATING SOUTH HEAD GENERAL CEMETERY OWNED AND OPERATED BY WAVERLEY COUNCIL ABN 12 502 583 608
Client Login- Webdesign Content Management System provided by IT3.com.au